Wednesday, January 7, 2009


Alright. So, most obvious thing first: Yes, you need a passport.
Hopefully you knew that already and have one if you're planning on studying abroad.  Otherwise, get one now.
Next thing: Visas.
This is complicated.  Also, it might change in the future, but as of today, this is what's going on for me:
If you're from the US and are going for less than 6 months, you DONT need a visa, as long as all you plan on doing is go to school.  This means no job.  The reason for this is because of all this (which I'm copying from an email I sent, because I don't feel like re-wording):
So, we aren't visa nationals because the USA isn't on the list on the first link.
And because we aren't a visa national we dont need a visa.
Couple paragraphs down says:
"Non-visa nationals do not need a visa prior to arrival but will need to declare their intentions to the Immigration Officer on arrival and will be required to show evidence that they can meet all the requirements of the Immigration Rules, Paragraph 56K."
56K says:
Student visitors
Requirements for leave to enter as a student visitor
56K. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a student visitor are that he:
(i) is genuinely seeking entry as a student visitor for a limited period as stated by him, not exceeding six months; and
(ii) has been accepted on a course of study which is to be provided by an organisation which is included on the Register of Education and Training Providers; and
(iii) intends to leave the United Kingdom at the end of his visit as stated by him; and
(iv) does not intend to take employment in the United Kingdom; and
(v) does not intend to engage in business, to produce goods or provide services within the United Kingdom, including the selling of goods or services direct to members of the public; and
(vi) does not intend to study at a maintained school; and
(vii) will maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants adequately out of resources available to him without recourse to public funds or taking employment; or will, with any dependants, be maintained and accommodated adequately by relatives or friends; and
(viii) can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
(ix) is not a child under the age of 18.

So that should answer any questions about visas.  If it doesn't, keep clicking around the first couple links, eventually you'll get somewhere that should help you.

As for getting to Leeds---
I've got a plane that leaves *super secret city I live in* and goes to NYC, then NYC to London.  From there we'll (Jake & I) have to take a train up to Leeds, but we still have to figure that out.  Hooray last minute details!

And I think that's it for now.
Might not do another entry until I'm actually in England.  Depends on if I can come up with a relevant topic to talk about before then.


Stephan said...

no offense, but you really need to cut down these blog posts :P

Ana said...

Bah bah on this Stephan fellow. That information will certainly come in handy once I need to apply to study abroad, myself.

Post a Comment