Monday, February 2, 2009

3 mobile broadband = crap

As a note to anyone who may decide to come to Leeds/England/ the UK and then ends up in a situation where they need internet for some reason, do not get a 3 mobile broadband dongle. Especially if you have a Mac. Yes, I can use the internet, but every so often, for no apparent reason, the modem will cause my computer to crash. Also, occasionally you'll fall offline and it won't let you know, you'll have to go and disconnect then reconnect yourself.
And the latest development? It blocks all other forms of internet from working. Somehow. I have no idea how. I wanted to come to campus to upload pictures on the wifi here, so that they wouldn't eat up my internet.
I just spent the last half hour or so trying to figure out why I couldn't connect to the wifi. Somehow the 3 modem program that lets you run it managed to take control of the internet ports to the point where whenever I'd try and turn on wireless, it would immediately turn it off. I ended up uninstalling the 3 program, and ta-daa! I had wireless. Unfortunately, I think that all that messing with the internet connection means that I don't have time right now to put pictures up. But that's probably ok, I don't think anyone really checks this at 6:30 in the morning in the US... excepts for Jake's dad. So pictures will probably be up by the time y'all wake up or get home from work, whichever is the case for whoever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment